Friday, March 21, 2008

Location, location, location...and the place where you live

Sidenotes: I have two great blog posts/articles for you quarterlifers to check out. The first is at GenPink, where the guest blogger writes about actually surviving a quarterlife crisis. My blog may be named Quarterlife Survivor, but I'm not quite there yet!

The second is an article that my friend in Illinois told me about. A columnist named Matt Brandenburg from the Northwest Herald tries your job for a day. He recently worked for a day at an animal shelter. Read and watch about his experiences here.

-----------

Today where I live got blasted by yet another snowstorm. I specifically remember during my semester in Los Angeles (singing Christmas carols as I drove past the beach) promising myself I would not have to live through another snowy winter. Hundreds of snow-filled days later, I wonder why I didn't move immediately.

The answers/excuses come pretty easily. I couldn't afford it. All of my close friends are here. My family is here. My job is here. Except for scraping ice off my windshield most mornings and getting snow down my shoes, I'm pretty comfortable here.

That hasn't kept me from trying to move. I've applied to countless places located all over the country. I went to a website where I took a lengthy quiz to determine my optimal place to live. It wasn't here. I dream of flip-flops filled days while I dress in layers.

Job opportunities are also relevant to where you live. There is a booming industry here, but not one that I'm interested in. To pursue my more creative urges, I'd probably have to move elsewhere.

What about you? Is there a place you've always wanted to live? A place you relocated to? Are you stuck somewhere you really wish you weren't? Tell all in the comments. :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain on the longing for flip flops and bikinis! I have always wanted to spend a summer tending bar a la Cocktail. I haven't gotten my beach life style yet, maybe next year!